I only punked out one day last week. It was Wednesday night and I was pooped! Sometimes you need to listen to your body and just give it a rest. So instead of the scheduled 35 min tempo run, I did a 4 miles faster than normal make up for it. I was not a happy camper at the time but I had such a wonderful 8 mile long run on Saturday, it makes me thankful that I push myself through the weekday maintenance runs.
Grad school starts again this week. I’m going to miss my evening freedom. I’m definitely going to need to re-arrange my workout schedule though. Evening classes on Wednesday and Thursday will not allow me to do my normal Wednesday Thursday routine. I might be able to make Wednesday night work – my class only goes until 6:30 pm. We’ll see how it goes.
- Monday, 1/30 – YOGA! Oh my goodness I can’t remember the last time my body needed yoga this badly. It’s screaming for a good scretch.
- Tuesday, 1/31 -Speed Work totaling 5 miles – 1 mile warm up; 8 x 400m at sprint speed with a 20 second rest in between each lap; 800 easy; 4 x 800m at tempo speed; 400 easy; 1600m at goal race pace; 400m easy.
- Wednesday, 2/1 – Easy 4 miles (if its not too late)
- Thursday, 2/2 – Rest/Learn
- Friday, 2/3- Tempo Run 40 mins
- Saturday, 2/4 – 10 miles at the NCR Trail – I’m hoping since this trail is flat it will be relatively easy considering I am doing my tempo run the day before.
- Sunday, 2/5 – 20-30 min recovery run
Update: The speed workout I posted was bananas! It was waaaaaaaay longer than I calculated. Oh, simple arithmetic. Here’s what actually happened. 1 mile warm up; 4 x 800m at sprint speed with 20 second rest in between; 800m easy; 4 x 800m at tempo speed with 20 second rest in between; 400m easy. If you want to do 7 miles of speed work though, by all means do the workout above.
Sometimes you have to put your mommy-pants on and nurse your cold-infected husband back to health with some cough drops, alkaseltzer, and vegan chicken noodle soup.
I decided to go into the New Year only buying things I absolutely need and then trying to make the rest. I figured this would push me to sew/knit more. I definitely have but it seems like the things I need to buy now are more expensive that I’d like them to be. Then I start feeling overwhelmed monetarily and have to breathe into a paper bag. List making always calms me down when I feel out of control – so that’s precisely what I am going to do.
Item No. 1 – New running shoes. Whenever my knees start talking to me, I know it’s time for a new pair. I just wish nice running shoes weren’t so expensive. I bought Brooks Glycerin 9 last year for my half marathon training. I initially thought they were the ugliest thing in the world but I bought them anyway because they felt awesome. After miles and miles together, they’ve grown on me. I now look at their ugliness with fondness and wouldn’t mind another pair.
Item No. 2 – Another pair of WARM running tights. Maryland winters aren’t just cold – they are damp, feel-it-in-your-bones, would-you-like-some-wind-with-that? cold. I have one really warm pair of running pants, and two not so warm but get the job done pants. I’d love another pair so I can go a week without wearing the same pair twice (it’s gross I know, but I’m not above sniffing my pants to see if they are wearable).
Item No. 3 – New bathing suit for Mexico. I haven’t bought a new bathing suit in a couple years. It might be time. I think they may be purchased at Target for cheap. This one seems cute enough enough.
Item No. 4 – School books. Ugh. No way around this one. At least amazon can save me from the University $tore prices.
Item No. 5 – Baby Shower things. This will encompass quite a bit. Only sister’s first kid. I will be going all out. Well, as all out as I can.
Anyone have any money I can borrow? 🙂
I had a $30 Groupon for Mood Designer Fabrics so this girl just bought herself some pretty fabric to make something pretty to wear for Valentine’s Day.
Swatch #1: 2.5 yards
Swatch #2: 2 yards
Here’s my plan for the week:
- Monday, 1/23 – Crosstrain with Jackie Warner ❤
- Tuesday, 1/24 – Speed Work – 1/2 mile warm up, 8 x 400m at faster than 5k pace with 400m rest intervals (thank you no meat athlete!)
- Wednesday, 1/25 – 4 miles easy
- Thursday, 1/26 – 35 min tempo run
- Friday, 1/27 – Rest
- Saturday, 1/28 – Long run 8-9 miles
- Sunday, 1/29 – easy peasey 20-30 min recovery run
I woke up to a cold, snowy, and ICY morning. My plans of a 7 mile run around Loch Raven were squashed. After feeling slightly discombobulated (and maybe even weighing the pros and cons of running anyway) I decided to take a hint from Mr. Desi.
Stay in and chill. No need to rush. It’s a Saturday.
With my schedule now wide open I decided to finally finish my dress I started back in the summer (I blame grad school for the month long hiatus).
I’m mildly ashamed it took me that long to do McCall’s M6200. Super easy pattern meant not so much pressure to finish it I suppose. When I was finished I thought it looked a little boring and blah so I added a flower pin.
The fabric I chose looks a little cheap but now that I know the pattern I’ll probably buy fabric that’s a tad more expensive next time I want to make it. I’d also add an inch or two to the bottom. I’m 5’8” which I guess is taller than average? Once I hemmed it, I came up a little shorter than I’d like. Note to self – no bending over whilst wear this dress.
I’m thinking I might just go to the gym and do 5 or 6 miles on the treadmill. Oh the torture of a guilty runner’s conscience.
Week 1 was a mild success – I miss my tempo run because I had to attend a birthday dinner (twist my arm why don’t you?) and running in the morning in the winter just doesn’t happen. I always learn my lesson during the long runs though. A hard week of running always makes an easy long run on the weekend.
Here’s the schedule for week 2:
- Monday, 1/16 – Off/Crosstrain/easy 3 miles
- Tuesday, 1/17 – Speed Workout – 1 mile warm up; 2 x 600m (400m sprint, 200m easy); 1 x 400m – recovery; 2 x 600m (400m sprint, 200m easy); 1 x 1600m at 10k pace.
- Wednesday, 1/18 – 3 miles easy
- Thursday, 1/19 – 35 min tempo run
- Friday, 1/20 – Off
- Saturday, 1/21 – 7 miles
- Sunday, 1/22 – 20-30 min recovery run
Things that I should do this weekend keep popping up in my head. I feel like I should write them down so I actually feel accomplished come Monday. It’s mostly boring adult things:
- Run 6 miles Saturday morning
- Go to Nature’s Fresh and get more chia seeds – my morning smoothies are the same without them.
- Clean my car mats – I recently learned the lesson that soup is not easily transportable. It took me until this morning to realize what that smell was.
- Put my dang clean clothes away – they have been sitting in my hamper at the edge of my bed for a couple days. Total adult fail.
- Finish my t-shirt infinity scarf
- Maybe actually finish a dress I started sewing in August (?!?!?!)
- Make chili for RAVEN’S PLAYOFF SUNDAY!!
This list is way too small – I can’t remember everything I am supposed to do… this is why I have to write everything down!