I can’t say I ever really wanted a giant cookie cake over the real deal at any point in my life. But making a cake from scratch requires a little more effort and time than I actually have. Chocolate Covered Katie whipped this thing up and I really wanted to try it. Unfortunately I got my opportunity for a going-away party at work. I thought I’d make my wonderful co-worker this giant cookie cake to show her how much I will miss her (even though she was just moving to a different building).
My cookie cake was clearly more amorphous than Chocolate Covered Katie’s (I wonder if she had a trick to get hers so perfectly round). But what I lacked in form I made up for with frosty pizzaz. I’m quite proud of that icing penmanship.
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 2 T unsweetened applesauce
- 1 can white beans or garbanzos (drained and rinsed) (250g)
- 1.5 T canola oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cups brown sugar (You can try adding less, if you’re used to healthy desserts. Also, white sugar will work if you don’t have brown, but brown is recommended for the best taste.)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I actually used cocao nibs – it had a mint chocolate chip consistency. oops! made it even more healthy!)
Blend everything (except the chips) very well in a food processor. Mix in chips, and pour into an oiled pan. Cook at 350 F for around 20 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.